Thursday, September 1, 2016

Faux German scrap technique


Hey Everyone,
Sorry for being such a terrible blogger.  I have been crafting.  I promise.  I post on Instagram all the time, I just don't make it on here as often as I should!

A few months ago my Mum and I went to an estate sale and scored the mother lode of German Scrap paper. This is just a snippet of the loot.
I have been using it on some of my recent projects, but I wanted to come up with a technique to make my own so I don't use it too quickly. German scrap is expensive and I wanted something that wouldn't break the bank.  Ideas started to swirl and here is what I came up with.
I started by using a Martha Stewart edge punch on a Manila folder.
 I left about a half an inch border one the side to use my embossing folder.  I found these skinny embossing folders at the thrift store and they are perfect for this technique. I cut the folder in half so I can run it all along the edge of the paper.  
Once I punched and embossed the manila it was time to heat emboss.  I used an ink blending tool to get my embossing powder in all the nooks and crannies. It's best to do this in small sections at a time. This way your embossing ink doesn't dry out when you're making your way down the strip and you don't have to use a trough of embossing powder. I used Emerald Creeks Charred Gold and Hammered Metal. These mixes have multiples colors and give the look that the paper is aged. 

I can't wait to use it on a project!
Jess





1 comment:

  1. How awesome is this!!! I have those embossing powders and might give this a try! Thank you so much for sharing :-) :-) Freddie

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer Notice

I've received products/compensation as part of the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Design teams. My projects, however, are 100% my own.